Post 1960s modern music pioneered the guitar riffs which were used to introduce songs with their instantly recognizable melody. They got the audience on their feet even without a single line of the song being actually sung.
Ever since, every genre of music, from blues to rock n’ roll to even punk, have used riffs to a large extent. However, specially in rock music, where wail of the electric guitar and the distortion of the amplifiers became a signature style, guitar riffs often laid the path for the song to come.
Over the years, we have come across many exceptionally good riffs that have stayed in our memory and made the song it belonged to, evergreen. So here is a list of 20 best evergreen rock guitar riffs – in no specific order!
1. Guns N’ Roses – Sweet Child O’ Mine
2. Led Zeppelin – Stairway To Heaven
3. Jimi Hendrix – All Along The Watchtower
4. Rage Against The Machine – Killing In The Name
5. Muse – Knights Of Cydonia
6. Pink Floyd – Shine On you Crazy Diamond
7. Deep Purple – Highway Star
8. The Rolling Stones – Sympathy For The Devil
9. The Eagles – Hotel California
10. Thin Lizzy – The Boys Are Back In Town
11. Judas Priest – The Hellion / Electric Eye
12. Lynyrd Skynyrd – Free Bird
13. George Harrison feat. Eric Clapton – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
14. Van Halen – Panama
15. AC/DC – Let There Be Rock
16. The Animals – House of the Rising Sun
17. Joan Jett And The Blackhearts – I Love Rock N Roll